Gaelic Conversation (Upper Intermediate) with Joy Dunlop 2018
Dates: 06/08/18 - 10/08/18
Price: £260 (£180 for students)
Tutor: Joy Dunlop
This course has been created for upper intermediate learners who understand basic Gaelic yet struggle to hold a detail conversation. Joy’s enthusiastic approach to teaching makes learning Gaelic a relaxed and natural experience where Gaelic songs, games and other forms of media will also be used to reinforce learning.
Originally from Connel, Argyll, Joy Dunlop is a popular Gaelic teacher, broadcaster and dancer. Joy currently teaches Gaelic at Glasgow University and is also a tutor of both An Cùrsa Inntrigidh and An Cùrsa Adhartais, Sabhal Mòr Ostaig’s popular distance learning programme. She is also an award winning Gaelic singer, being awarded the Royal National Mòd Gold Medal in 2010, and can often be heard speaking on Radio nan Gàidheal.
Throughout the week, particular attention will be given to supporting the issues faced by Gaelic learners by looking at and correcting grammatical errors and working on improving pronunciation skills. It is intended that students will build up a repertoire of new words and phrases throughout the week and Joy will be encouraging participants to confidently use the Gaelic that they have - giving them the ability to participate in fuller and more detailed conversations.
To participate in this course, participants should have completed SMO Short Course Levels 4, 5, 6 (or their equivalents elsewhere), be able to hold a more detailed conversation as well as understand and comfortably use the following grammatical structures in conversation:
- Tha vs ’s e
- Cò às a tha thu? / Càite bheil thu a’ fuireach?
- À vs às and ann an/am vs anns
- Likes / dislikes
- Descriptions of people (looks and personality)
- Simple tenses (Bha / Tha / Bidh)
- An e/A bheil/Am bi/An toil/An robh/ Am bu toil/Am b’ fheàrr/An fheàrr and how they work with questions that begin with Dè/Cò/Ciamar/Carson/Cuin/Càite.
- A bheil do phiuthar a’ dol a sheinn?
- Past tense - regular/irregular verbs and how they work with questions that begin with Dè/Cò/Ciamar/Carson/Cuin/Càite.
Approximate Course & SCQF Level Equivalences:
- An Cùrsa Inntrigidh Earrann 3 (10-12)
- Ìre 5/6 nan Cùrsaichean Goirid
- SCQF 5-6 SQA Standard Grade: Credit - Higher Gaelic (Learners)
There’s space for up to 10 people on the course – to ensure your place please book early!