Gaelic on the Island hosted by Muriel Fisher
Dates: 26/06/17 - 30/06/17
Price: £300 (£200 for students)
Tutor: Muriel Fisher
Eiligible for ILA funding: Yes
***This course is now fully-booked. Ask to be added to our waiting list.***
‘Gaelic on the Island’ is a new variation on our Exploring Skye for beginners. This course is designed for intermediate learners who are keen to mix Gaelic conversation with discovering Skye and its unique island setting. The week will start off with classroom based lessons and also consist of enjoyable daily outings on the island and neighbouring areas, including a scone-baking session on the final morning!
The week’s exploration of sea, land, Gaelic (and food!) could include trips to:
- The Isle of Canna – full of history and wildlife, see Canna house, former home of the renowned 20th century folklorists John Lorne Campbell and his wife Margaret Faye Shaw, a walk to the Pictish Stone and then a bite to eat at the Gaelic-speaking Café Canna
- Strathaird and Elgol – take in views of the Cuillin, visit the swordsmith and the Cill Chriosd cemetery, and have some great cake in beautiful Elgol
- Plockton – admire the palm trees, seafront gardens and seafood restaurants, and enjoy a seal-sighting boat trip
- Isle of Raasay – a lunch trip to Raasay to admire Skye from the sea.
The trips are weather-dependent so this will influence our choice of day for each destination. Course participants are expected to be comfortable walking about 2 miles and able to get on and off boats with ease as the excursions are a key aspect of the course.
Lunch, Dinner and Refreshments are not included in the price of the course, although breakfast is included if you are staying in our college accommodation. For more about our accommodation rates please click here. Your evenings will be left free for you to recharge your batteries for the next day’s explorations!
The course is led by Muriel Fisher, a native speaker from Skye and one of Sabhal Mòr’s established and experienced short course tutors. Muriel works at the University of Arizona and is the recipient of the Linguistic Society of America's 2015 Excellence in Community Linguistics Award for her work with Scottish Gaelic.
Quotes from previous courses:
- “This course was fantastic fun and a great confidence builder. Fantastic idea to get to know the island.”
- “Muriel was a fantastic teacher and guide as we travelled around Skye. I would definitely come back!”
- “This was a great course and I enjoyed seeing more of the island.”