Ortha nan Gaidheal
- I will rise early on the morning of Monday,
- 1 will sing my rune and rhyme,
- I will go sunwise with my cog
- To the nest of my hen with sure intent.
- I will place my left hand to my breast,
- My right hand to my heart,
- I will seek the loving wisdom of Him
- Abundant in grace, in broods, and in flocks.
- I will close my two eyes quickly,
- As in blind-man's buff moving slowly;
- I will stretch my left hand over thither
- To the nest of my hen on yonder side.
- The first egg which I shall bring near me,
- I will put it withershins round my head.
- * * * * *
- * * * * *
- I will raise my left hand on high,
- I will stretch it without halt quickly,
- I will lift the two eggs down hither,
- There shall be then three in the cog.
- I will stretch my right hand again,
- I will lift with it at the time three,
- I will seek ruling from the King,
- Then verily there shall be six in the clutch.
- I will raise my left hand the second time,
- I will lift four with it down,
- In name of Christ, King of power,
- There shall then be ten in the cog.
- The right fist of strongest claim,
- I will lift with it two in my fingers,
- Thus at ceasing my brood will be complete,
- Beneath the breast of the speckled big hen.
- I will put soot on their two ends,
- And I dumb as the dumb the while,
- In name of Creator of sea and hill,
- In name of saints and apostles all.
- In name of the most Holy Trinity,
- In name of Columba kindly,
- I will set the eggs on Thursday,
- The gladsome brood will come on Friday.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995