Ortha nan Gaidheal
MARKING THE LAMBS
- My knife will be new, keen, clean, without stain,
- My plaid beneath my knee with my red robe,
- I will put sunwise round my breast the first cut for luck,
- The next one after that with the sun as it moves.
- A male lamb without blemish, of one colour, without defect,
- Allow thou out on the plain, nor his flowing blood check,
- If the froth remains on the heather with red top,
- My flock will be without flaw as long as I change not the name.
- The Three who are above in the City of glory,
- Be shepherding my flock and my kine,
- Tending them duly in heat, in storm, and in cold,
- With the blessing of power driving them down
- From yonder height to the sheiling fold.
- The name of Ariel of beauteous bloom,
- The name of Gabriel herald of the Lamb,
- The name of Raphael prince of power,
- Surrounding them and saving them.
- The name of Muriel and of Mary Virgin,
- The name of Peter and of Paul,
- The name of James and of John,
- Each angel and apostle on their track,
- Keeping them alive and their progeny,
- Keeping them alive and their progeny.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995