Ortha nan Gaidheal
- From my loins begotten wert thou, my son,
- May I guide thee the way that is right,
- In the holy name of the apostles eleven
- In name of the Son of God torn of thee.
- In name of James, and Peter, and Paul,
- John the baptist, and John the apostle above,
- Luke the physician, and Stephen the martyr,
- Muriel the fair, and Mary mother of the Lamb.
- In name of Patrick holy of the deeds,
- And Carmac of the rights and tombs,
- Columba beloved, and Adamnan of laws,
- Fire calm, and Bride of the milk and kine.
- In name of Michael chief of hosts,
- In name of Ariel youth of lovely hues,
- In name of Uriel of the golden locks,
- And Gabriel seer of the Virgin of grace.
- The time thou shalt have closed thine eye,
- Thou shalt not bend thy knee nor move,
- Thou shalt not wound the duck that is swimming,
- Never shalt thou harry her of her young.
- The white swan of the sweet gurgle,
- The speckled dun of the brown tuft,
- Thou shalt not cut a feather from their backs,
- Till the doom-day, on the crest of the wave.
- On the wing be they always
- Ere thou place missile to thine ear,
- And the fair Mary will give thee of her love,
- And the lovely Bride will give thee of her kine.
- Thou shalt not eat fallen fish nor fallen flesh,
- Nor one bird that thy hand shall not bring down,
- Be thou thankful for the one,
- Though nine should be swimming.
- The fairy swan of Bride of flocks,
- The fairy duck of Mary of peace.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995