Ortha nan Gaidheal
CONSECRATING THE CHASE
- In name of the Holy Three-fold as one,
- In word, in deed, and in thought,
- I am bathing mine own hands,
- In the light and in the elements of the sky.
- Vowing that I shall never return in my life,
- Without fishing, without fowling either,
- Without game, without venison down from the hill,
- Without fat, without blubber from out the copse.
- O Mary tender-fair, gentle-fair, loving-fair,
- Avoid thou to me the silvery salmon dead on the salt sea,
- A duck with her brood an it please thee to show me,
- A nest by the edge of the water where it does not dry.
- The grey-hen on the crown of the knoll,
- The black-cock of the hoarse croon,
- After the strength of the sun has gone down,
- Avoid, oh, avoid thou to me the hearing of them.
- O Mary, fragrant mother of my King,
- Crown thou me with the crown of thy peace,
- Place thine own regal robe of gold to protect me,
- And save me with the saving of Christ,
- Save me with the saving of Christ.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995