Ortha nan Gaidheal
RULER OF THE ELEMENTS
- The Children of Israel, God taking them,
- Through the Red Sea obtained a path,
- They obtained the quenching of their thirst
- From a rock that might not by craftsman be hewn.
- Who are they on the tiller of my rudder,
- Giving speed to my east bound barge ?
- Peter and Paul and John the beloved,
- Three to whom laud and obeisance are due.
- Who are the group near to my helm ?
- Peter and Paul and John the Baptist;
- Christ is sitting on my helm,
- Making guidance to the wind from the south.
- To whom does tremble the voice of the wind ?
- To whom become tranquil strait and ocean
- To Jesus Christ, Chief of each saint,
- Son of Mary, Root of victory,
- Son of Mary, Root of victory.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995