Ortha nan Gaidheal
THE SLEEP PRAYER
- I am now going into the sleep
- Be it that I in health shall waken;
- If death be to me in the death-sleep,
- Be it that on Thine own arm,
- O God of Grace, I in peace shall waken;
- Be it on Thine own beloved arm,
- O God of Grace, that I in peace shall waken.
- Be my soul on Thy right hand, O God,
- Thou King of the heaven of heavens;
- Thou it was who bought'st me with Thy blood,
- Thou it was who gavest Thy life for me,
- Encompass Thou me this night, O God,
- That no harm, no evil shall me befall.
- Whilst the body is dwelling in the sleep,
- The soul is soaring in the shadow of heaven,
- Be the red-white Michael meeting the soul,
- Early and late, night and day,
- Early and late, night and day.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995