Ortha nan Gaidheal
- I am now come to your country
- To renew to you the Hogmanay,
- I need not tell you of it,
- It was in the time of our forefathers.
- I ascend by the door lintel,
- I descend by the doorstep,
- I will sing my song becomingly,
- Mannerly, slowly, mindfully.
- The Hogmanay skin is in my pocket,
- Great will be the smoke from it presently.
- * * * * *
- The house-man will get it in his hand,
- He will place its nose in the fire;
- He will go sunwards round the babes,
- And for seven verities round the housewife.
- The housewife it is she who deserves it,
- The hand to dispense to us the Hogmanay,
- A small gift of the bloom of summer,
- Much I wish it with the bread.
- Give it to us if it be possible,
- If you may not, do not detain us;
- I am the servant of God's Son at the door,
- Arise thyself and open to me.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995