Ortha nan Gaidheal
MAGNUS OF MY LOVE
- O Magnus of my love
- Thou it is who would'st us guide,
- Thou fragrant body of grace,
- Remember us.
- Remember us, thou Saint of power,
- Who didst encompass and protect the people,
- Succour thou us in our distress,
- Nor forsake us.
- Lift our flocks to the hills,
- Quell the wolf and the fox,
- Ward from us spectre, giant, fury,
- And oppression.
- Surround cows and herds,
- Surround sheep and lambs;
- Keep from them the water-vole,
- And the field-vole.
- Sprinkle dew from the sky upon kine,
- Give growth to grass, and corn, and sap to plants,
- Water-cress, deer's-grass, 'ceis,' burdock,
- And daisy.
- O Magnus of fame,
- On the barque of the heroes,
- On the crests of the waves,
- On the sea, on the land,
- Aid and preserve us.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995