Ortha nan Gaidheal
THE BELTANE BLESSING
- Bless, O Threefold true and bountiful,
- Myself, my spouse, and my children,
- My tender children and their beloved mother at their head.
- On the fragrant plain, on the gay mountain sheiling,
- On the fragrant plain, on the gay mountain sheiling.
- Everything within my dwelling or in my possession,
- All kine and crops, all flocks and corn,
- From Hallow Eve to Beltane Eve,
- With goodly progress and gentle blessing,
- From sea to sea, and every river mouth,
- From wave to wave, and base of waterfall.
- Be the Three Persons taking possession of all to me belonging,
- Be the sure Trinity protecting me in truth;
- Oh! satisfy my soul in the words of Paul,
- And shield my loved ones beneath the wing of Thy glory,
- Shield my loved ones beneath the wing of Thy glory.
- Bless everything and every one,
- Of this little household by my side;
- Place the cross of Christ on us with the power of love,
- Till we see the land of joy,
- Till we see the land of joy.
- What time the kine shall forsake the stalls,
- What time the sheep shall forsake the folds,
- What time the goats shall ascend to the mount of mist,
- May the tending of the Triune follow them,
- May the tending of the Triune follow them.
- Thou Being who didst create me at the beginning,
- Listen and attend me as I bend the knee to Thee,
- Morning and evening as is becoming in me,
- In Thine own presence, O God of life,
- In Thine own presence, O God of life.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995