Ortha nan Gaidheal
THE BELTANE BLESSING
- Mary, thou mother of saints
- Bless our flocks and bearing kine;
- Hate nor scath let not come near us,
- Drive from us the ways of the wicked.
- Keep thine eye every Monday and Tuesday
- On the bearing kine and the pairing queys;
- Accompany us from hill to sea,
- Gather thyself the sheep and their progeny.
- Every Wednesday and Thursday be with them,
- Be thy gracious hand always about them;
- Tend the cows down to their stalls,
- Tend the sheep down to their folds!
- Every Friday be thou, O Saint, at their head,
- Lead the sheep from the face of the bens,
- With their innocent little lambs following them,
- Encompass them with God's encompassing.
- Every Saturday be likewise with them,
- Bring the goats in with their young,
- Every kid and goat to the sea side,
- And from the Rock of Aegir on high,
- With cresses green about its summit.
- The strength of the Triune be our shield in distress,
- The strength of Christ, His peace and His Pasch,
- The strength of the Spirit, Physician of health,
- And of the precious Father, the King of grace.
- * * * * *
- And of every other saint who succeeded them
- And who earned the repose of the kingdom of God.
- Bless ourselves and our children,
- Bless every one who shall come from our loins,
- Bless him whose name we bear,
- Bless, O God, her from whose womb we came.
- Every holiness, blessing and power,
- Be yielded to us every time and every hour,
- In name of the Holy Threefold above,
- Father, Son, and Spirit everlasting.
- Be the Cross of Christ to shield us downward,
- Be the Cross of Christ to shield us upward,
- Be the Cross of Christ to shield us roundward,
- Accepting our Beltane blessing from us,
- Accepting our Beltane blessing from us.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995