Ortha nan Gaidheal
THE BLESSING OF THE STRUAN
- Each meal beneath my roof
- They will all be mixed together,
- In name of God the Son,
- Who gave them growth.
- Milk, and eggs, and butter,
- The good produce of our own flock,
- There shall be no dearth in our land,
- Nor in our dwelling.
- In name of Michael of my love,
- Who bequeathed to us the power,
- With the blessing of the Lamb,
- And of His Mother.
- Humble us at thy footstool,
- Be thine own sanctuary around us,
- Ward from us spectre, sprite, oppression,
- And preserve us.
- Consecrate the produce of our land,
- Bestow prosperity and peace,
- In name of the Father the King,
- And of the three beloved apostles.
- Dandelion, smooth garlic,
- Foxglove, woad, and butterwort,
- The three carle-doddies,
- And marigold.
- Gray 'cailpeach' plucked,
- The seven-pronged seven times,
- The mountain yew, ruddy heath,
- And madder.
- I will put water on them all,
- In precious name of the Son of God,
- In name of Mary the generous,
- And of Patrick.
- When we shall sit down
- To take our food,
- I will sprinkle in the name of God
- On the children.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995