Ortha nan Gaidheal
THE CONSECRATION OF THE SEED
- I will go out to sow the seed
- In name of Him who gave it growth;
- I will place my front in the wind,
- And throw a gracious handful on high.
- Should a grain fall on a bare rock,
- It shall have no soil in which to grow;
- As much as falls into the earth,
- The dew will make it to be full.
- Friday, day auspicious,
- The dew will come down to welcome
- Every seed that lay in sleep
- Since the coming of cold without mercy;
- Every seed will take root in the earth,
- As the King of the elements desired,
- The braird will come forth with the dew,
- It will inhale life from the soft wind.
- I will come round with my step,
- I will go rightways with the sun,
- In name of Ariel and the angels nine,
- In name of Gabriel and the Apostles kind.
- Father, Son, and Spirit Holy,
- Be giving growth and kindly substance
- To every thing that is in my ground,
- Till the day of gladness shall come.
- The Feast day of Michael, day beneficent,
- I will put my sickle round about
- The root of my corn as was wont;
- I will lift the first cut quickly;
- I will put it three turns round
- My head, saying my rune the while,
- My back to the airt of the north;
- My face to the fair sun of power.
- I shall throw the handful far from me,
- I shall close my two eyes twice,
- Should it fall in one bunch
- My stacks will be productive and lasting
- No Carlin will come with bad times
- To ask a palm bannock from us,
- What time rough storms come with frowns
- Nor stint nor hardship shall be on us.
Niall MacFhionnlaigh, A' Chiste Ghàidhlig, a chuir na teacsaichean seo gu léir bho Carmina Gadelica air an làrach-lìn aig Sabhal Mór Ostaig ann an 1995